Asking For Help
Ask for help when you need it or want it: Support from faculty and staff are available to you, if you ask. Very few students can make it through college without seeking assistance at some point, yet many avoid asking for the support they deserve. See below regarding how to prepare to meet with your Professor.
Scheduling a meeting with professors, faculty or other college staff
Research – review your syllabus, or online resources to learn about preferred methods of communication, office hours or scheduling processes.
- Ask – if you cannot locate specific process, approach the professor, faculty or staff directly. Briefly describe what you need help with, and ask how to schedule a meeting time.
- E-mail – send an e-mail (like the one below) to schedule a meeting.
- Schedule – send a formal meeting request or use online scheduling tools (if available).
Plan for the meeting
- Prepare a list of questions.
- Gather relevant textbooks, notes and note-taking supplies.
- Practice – role-play your meeting with a friend.
- Be on time
- Ask prepared questions
- Be an active and empathetic listener
- Take notes
- Thank them for their time
- Follow-up with a thank you e-mail